Thursday, March 22, 2007

Tag, I'm It.

I have to stop meme-ing.

Historical things that happened on my birthday that I think are kind of interesting:

1709 - Peter the Great defeats Charles XII of Sweden at the Battle of Poltava. (I'm Swedish)

1893 - Crash of the New York Stock Exchange. (Sucks)

1950-The United States decides to send troops to fight in the Korean War. (Sucks)

1953 - Joseph Laniel becomes Prime Minister of France. (I heart France)

1957 - Hurricane Audrey kills 500 people in Louisiana and Texas.
(Wow...Not a good day in History for the USA)

1967 - The world's first ATM is installed in Enfield, London.
(I would not have survived my month in London without them)

1969 - Stonewall riots begin in New York city.
(Give us our jams and jellies NOW!)

2007- Air date for First Annual Library of Congress Gershwin Prize for Popular Song, awarded to Paul Simon
(Uh. Seriously?)

These people got born:

1462 - King Louis XII of France (d. 1515)

1550 - King Charles IX of France (d. 1574)

1880 - Helen Keller, American spokeswoman for the deaf and blind (d. 1968) (Oh, now THAT is cool!)

1927 - Bob Keeshan, American actor (d. 2004) (CAPTAIN KANGAROO! AWESOME!)

1930 - Ross Perot, American billionaire and politician

1932 - Eddie Kasko, baseball player (Played for my Sox!)

1949 - Vera Wang, American fashion designer

1959 - Dan Jurgens, American comic book writer and artist ("Death of Superman" guy)

These people died:

1988 - Hillel Slovak, Israeli born guitarist for the Red Hot Chili Peppers (b. 1962) (Love that band)

1996 - Cubby Broccoli, American film producer (b. 1909)
(I have no idea who he is, but that cannot be his real name!)

2001 - Jack Lemmon, American actor (b. 1925)
( I remember feeling awful about that.)

2002 - John Entwistle, English bassist (The Who) (b. 1944)
(Another band I totally love. Felt bad about that, too.)

2005 - Shelby Foote, American author and historian (b. 1917)
(I remember when he died, but I didn't know that it was actually on my birthday...I think I heard about it a few days after.)

Holidays:

National HIV Testing Day in United States
(I didn't know we had this, and I think it's awesome! They need to promote it more.)

National Veterans' Day in the United Kingdom (I'll wager that's a Balderdash question...)

And finally:

In Shirley Jackson's Novel The Lottery, the annual lottery is held on this date each year.

(What? I don't remember that! That's the story where everyone stones a woman to death, even her own family!
Dammit, Shirley Jackson, why did you have to pick that day?)

I tag no one.

1 comment:

Zhoen said...

Albert R. actually, produced James Bond movies.

http://imdb.com/name/nm0110482/