Wednesday, February 14, 2007

A room all to oneself.

That's what every writer needs. With a door that locks.

I'm having issues with being a loving, supportive wife and a dedicated writer.

Well, not issues, really.

Just one bad instance.

I was working on a story and I was in that zone. That wonderful place where disjointed scenes are starting to smoothly transition, where natural dialogue is flowing like water and I can finally see the end! Huzzah! One last ghost haunting my head!

Then my husband comes in. He's upset about a work thing and he needs someone to listen. Well, that's what I'm here for, right? So I stop writing mid-zone. Thinking that it is only for a minute.

I tried to help him, phrased it badly and hurt his feelings. He got mad at me for sounding just like everyone at work, made some "how come it's always my fault?" statements, I said that he was too sensitive and told him to "man up" (which is mean and sexist), apologized, was forgiven, listened, discussed solutions, phrased my suggestions in diplomatic ways. He felt better.

This took an hour. When I tried to go back to writing I couldn't because I was too upset!
Tearing my hair out
Now all I could think about were his problems at work and I was getting pretty pissed off at him for throwing of my groove.

Afterwards he said "Man, I feel so much better now. I just needed to vent, now things don't seem so bad."

Good for him.

Grrrrr....

4 comments:

Mella said...

Oh man, I know this - have lived this. I think I've reached the point where I really need a place of my own, like an island or something. Husband and babyless - just for a few days - just long enough to get some of the stories out of my head so that I can rest at night without them nagging me.

*sigh*

Novice said...

Mella, let's do it! Let's buy one of the Bahamanian islands and take turns going there for weekends!

Mella said...

Sure! I'll just let you know as soon as I win the lottery...

Kell said...

Oogh, I can definitely relate to this. I like to burrow for hours on end when I write. Mr. Kell has a similar habit, and an uncanny sixth sense for knowing exactly the worst times to bust on into my den and interrupt my train of thought. His power seems especially effective when I'm trying to write about sex. Arrgh!