Wednesday, January 31, 2007

I Am

More Inspiration from Mella and Owlhaven. Changed things a tad to make them fit

---

I am the baby born in Worcester
To hippies and ministers
Who had visions of a redhaired actress before she was born,
And were right.

I am the child who played Narnia and and jungle explorers and spies
Who loved streams and rocks and baby goats
Who stored her grandmother’s jewelry in her treasure box
Who dreamed of stardom and never thought she would not want it.

I am the teenager who sat by herself and hated everyone else.
Who moved away and changed what she was called
And made actual friends and wore painted overalls
And loved Shakespeare and parties.

Who set her prom table on fire
And ran naked through the snow on a dare
Who dreamed of playing Velma Kelley and knew she would direct
The Crucible.

I am the woman who stopped taking quiet for granted,
Who got married young, after declaring she would not get married
Ever.

Who loves her family and friends and
Finally not feeling afraid all the time.

I am the mother who loves wrestling on the floor with her baby
And goes crazy if her husband pauses for more than
Five seconds between words
And whose moments of perfect bliss come
When her son looks at her and says a new word.
Yum. Hug. Car.

I am the writer who loves reading and avoids the phone
And who wants to see her books on a shelf
Alongside the authors she admires.

I am the woman who talks too much and makes up songs
And really wants a bright green pair of Chuck Taylors.

I am the person who planned her husband’s funeral
And then didn’t need to have it.

I am the woman who still loves the ice cream truck and
Saturday morning cartoons
But never sugary cereals.

Who still longs to learn to play the drums just like John Bonham.

I am the person who dreams of France and playing Lady Macbeth
And is grateful for
Every day she wakes up next to her Beloved
And who hopes her son will grow to be happy, healthy and
Fully aware that
He is perfectly loved.

2 comments:

Mella said...

This is awesome!

(Bright green Chuck Taylor's, you say?)

Novice said...

Oh, yeah...I want them soooo badly.

I used to know a woman who had the coolest personal style. She always wore all black, black tights, black skirt, black turtleneck...and on her feet there were always her bright red Chucks.