Tuesday, October 17, 2006

A Child of the 80's Feels Her Age

Twenty seven is so far from old. It's not all that young, either.

My college friends and I are dancers. Whenever we throw a party, there's a good band or disc jockey (or iTunes playlist), and we are on the floor. There are some standards we have. "Come On Eileen" is the most important. One of my girlfriends made up the dance we do in high school and brought it to the rest of us Freshman year. Vigorous, silly dancing follows that everyone from our circle of friends must join in on. Spouses/Significant Others as well...it's sort of an initiation.

This Saturday Husband and I went to the wedding of one of my close college girlfriends. As we all did the "Come On Eileen". dance, the groom yelled "I feel ridiculous!". "Good!" we all yelled back.

So the dance was danced, and the music faded into the Electric Slide (another classic). Most people who were kids in the 1980's did this dance. I certainly did, countless times.

I forgot it. I forgot how to do the Electric Slide. I did a terrible job faking it, watching a friend of mine who was performing it effortlessly, and hoping it would come back to me. Glancing around, I realized I was not the only one who only does this dance these days when one of us gets married. Many of my friends were even sitting down! Appalling! The music is playing! We're supposed to dance!

Then I realized that I, too, kind of wanted to sit down. I was exhausted. I did, under the pretense of needing a glass of water before I went back to do more dancing. "Cotton Eye Joe" came on, so I had to go back for that. Had to! My feet were starting to burn. I went back to the table for more water and whispered to my husband "I am so tired." "Sit down a while." said one of my friends. "We are old." she said, as if that would soothe me. I protested, heard the opening to "Love Shack". and creaked myself towards the floor again.

Didn't even make it through the entire song. I was hot, tired and ached. My husband and I gave our hugs, kisses and congratulations, and went home.

I know I'm not a girl anymore.

I just thought I could last even one whole "Love Shack".

1 comment:

Mella said...

Honestly, I probably would've been sitting like an old lady - even without the pregnancy excuse...